Inlays And Onlays
At Northern Kentucky Dental, inlays and onlays are often used as an alternative to full coverage dental crowns. Inlays and onlays are fabricated indirectly within a laboratory and then fitted and bonded to a damaged tooth to protected it from further decay. Dental fillings are molded into place within the appointment by your dentist.
Inlays and onlays can provides patients with better fitting restorative solutions that are longer lasting and stronger than traditional fillings in combating tooth decay as well as providing an esthetic and functional purpose.
An inlay is a restoration fabrications for the center of a tooth, whereas an onlay is a restoration fabricated for one or more points of the tooth covering the biting surface.
Inlays and Onlays Procedure
At Northern Kentucky Dental, your inlay/onlay procedure will begin with one of two dental appointments. Within the first appointment, your dentist will begin by taken a molded impression of the affected tooth to be sent off to a laboratory so that the inlay/onlay can be fabricated.
Inlays and onlays can be constructed from a variety of materials which include porcelain, gold as well as resin metals. A temporary restoration will be created for your tooth during this first visit to ensure that no further damage occurs to the tooth. Each material offers a different appeal, and so you dentist will discuss which material options are best suited for your needs.
Within the second appointment, your Northern Kentucky Dental professional will remove the temporary restoration and the finalized inlay/onlay will be fitted and secured to the tooth finished with a polish.
Benefits of Inlays and Onlays
- Tooth Colored Restoration: Inlays and Onlays are not only esthetic solution to traditional restorations, they are long-lasting as well and not likely to discolor as some tooth colored resin fillings.
- Easy Cleaning: The inlay/onlays are customized so that they are designed to fit your tooth, whereas composite fillings can tend to shrink over time. Inlays and onlays ensure a precise fit that will not shrink.
- Safety: Inlays and onlays restore the damaged ares of your teeth while at the same time safeguarding the decayed areas from further damage ensuring your restoration's longevity.
- Spacing:For cavities between your teeth, inlays are a better option than traditional fillings as they work better to seal teeth protecting against further decay by strengthening the actual tooth's structure.
- Protection: Inlays and onlays are designed to protect the weaker ares of your teeth to prevent further damage without the unnecessary reshaping of your tooth's structure.
- Strength: Inlays and onlays are a great solution providing stability to once decayed teeth. Their superior custom-designed fit makes them an ideal choice in ensuring that our tooth remains resilient to any possible further damage.